Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Flag Day

I did a little research about today's holiday. It seems I've known and remembered Flag Day forever, but I realized this morning that I wanted a refresher on its history.  In case someone else might be in the same position, I thought I would share a little about what I learned. 

 

At the beginning of the American Revolution, colonists were fighting under multiple flags, depending on their region and regiment. In 1775, the Second Continental Congress met to create the Continental Army in the hope of unifying and organizing the fighting force, under "Continental Colors". Different possibilities were suggested, but rejected for things like having the Union Jack as part of the design, which seemed like the wrong message.

On June 14, 1777, in the midst of drafting the Articles of Confederation, the Second Continental Congress resolved, "That the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation." I really like the "new constellation" idea - brilliant phrase.

It wasn't until 1916 that President Woodrow Wilson officially established June 14 as Flag Day, celebrating the anniversary of the 1777 creation of a new symbol of freedom for a new nation. 

This is also the day that the United States Army celebrates its birthday, as that fighting force united under its colors. So, Happy Birthday!

A history refresher is never a bad thing, in my book.


No comments: