Friday, June 3, 2022

A Display of Temper

Everyone has heard the old saying, "madder than a wet hen". Well, naturally, I got curious and had to look up where the phrase came from.  According to my research, hens sometimes get broody and refuse to let a farmer collect eggs. Apparently, the farmer would then throw a bucket of cold water over the bird to shock her out of her moody broodiness. That alone would put me out of sorts, so I imagine an already unhappy chicken would be pretty steamed.

 

This usually calm and sweet lady wasn't wet, but she certainly got her feathers ruffled. I took a few pictures, because while it's common to see the male turkeys displaying their dominance and prowess, it's rare to see a hen fan out her tail and drag her wings in the same way.

 

 

She's a very impressive bird, don't you think?
 

No comments: