Wednesday, June 15, 2022

A Pair 'o Ducks

I know, I know! Another bad pun. I don't seem to be able to help myself.

 

There is a bit of a low spot along the trail that turns into a very large puddle for a couple days after a good rain. Ducks frequently take advantage of this phenomenon to paddle around and bathe. (These two weren't too concerned by my passage and simply stepped to the edge and waited for me to go by, taking the chance to preen before hopping back in again.)

There's plenty of other water around, with a wetland and creek nearby, not to mention the entire bay, but I guess that's why mallards are often called "puddle ducks".

I know that Madam Mallard isn't as colorful as her mate, but I love the clever camouflage pattern of her feathers. The brown, beige and tan combination can allow her to simply melt into near invisibility.

Monsieur Mallard, on the other hand, is a stand-out fellow with his iridescent green head. Also, if you look closely at the light tan feathers along his sides, there's a beautiful pattern in them as well.

While I know that mallards are pretty common, I still think they're uncommonly pretty - and friendly.  The ducklings are hatching, so there will soon be pictures of the little fuzz balls bobbing on the bay with mom.


No comments: