Saturday, August 26, 2023

Raspberry Gymnast

I allowed wild black raspberry canes to take over a chunk of the deck behind my house and one of the resident chipmunks has done some amazing gymnastics to reach the berries I apparently left behind after foraging for breakfast treats.

 


It would climb out onto precarious perches and stretch full length to pick a berry, sometimes having to adjust position several times to avoid falling. Once a prize was in hand ... or paw ...  it would sit on a chair edge to enjoy the juicy delight.


The lovely pink lipstick staining its lips as it munched along made an excellent fashion statement.


It was fun to watch the acrobatic maneuvers and the obvious pleasure with which the rewards were consumed. I couldn't begrudge the the enterprising chipmunk a few berries - the entertainment is a wonderful treat, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My smile for the day. Thanks.

-Woodland Paws

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Woodland Paws! It makes me grin, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I can see we are kindred spirits regarding berries! We have purposely let blackberry canes take over a corner of our little pasture......I love being able to pick wild berries in my own yard! And we do have lots of wildlife that share with us!

Webfoot said...

Hi, Anon! Oh, yes - kindred spirits, indeed. I love it when delicious volunteers come to live in my yard. I have black raspberries on the hill behind my house, too. I think I'm going to need to cut back some of the sumac to give the canes more scope, though. :)