Thursday, August 31, 2023

Absolutely Super

I'm sure everyone has already heard about last night's supermoon.

 
For our evening adventure, we all piled into my brother's truck and went to the highest spot we could think of that would give us a clear view of the eastern horizon.


One other group of moon watchers joined us on the hill to see the incredibly dramatic moonrise.
 

We were sort of surprised more people hadn't gathered for the event.


After all, this kind of a supermoon won't happen again until 2037.



It was amazing to see how quickly the moon cleared the horizon.


The new camera did a nice job of capturing the moon's detail and beautiful color (the atmosphere really did turn it orange close to the horizon), but it tended to make the surrounding sky darker than it actually was whenever I zoomed in on the moon.

The picture above is a more accurate with respect to light level.

If you missed last night's show, you'll have another chance tonight. The blue moon will rise in my area at around 9:00. We're thinking about heading back out to watch all over again. It was well worth the effort. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for your pictures, as I completely missed the moon rise last night. I saw it through the curtain, and thought about getting up and pushing the curtain aside to look, but that was the last thought I had before my lids crashed together. Maybe I can get outside tonight and see it for myself. Or maybe not !

Hugs, thanks for the pics, from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures, BetsyLee. I, too, have been known to sleep through celestial events I mean to watch, so I know how that goes!! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I am also so glad for your photos!!! I saw it last night around 11:00, well past this stage. But still large, bright and beautiful.

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Sheila! I'm glad you got to see that bit old moon. It's been pretty special these past few days.