Thursday, August 10, 2023

Inspiration and Outcome

I'm preparing for a couple of art shows and have been working hard on getting some new designs ready to go. (This is particularly important, since tomorrow night's show opening includes a carving demonstration -- by me! I wanted to have a number of designs to choose from for the demo, so that what I carve will be easy for non-carvers to "read".) 

I was up carving until the wee hours of the night last night and thought it might be fun to share the outcome of my efforts.


First, the inspiration for the carving. I've been looking at these beautiful Queen Anne's Lace flowers for the last several years and thinking it would be a fun challenge to try and do a print of one of them. 

Several days and many hours of carving later, we have the first two proofs. I did one in black and one in green. It will be interesting to see which ends up being adopted first. :)


I think that each of the colors has a very different feel about it.


The black might be a little more dramatic, but I really like the green. As I said, it will be interesting to see the reactions - I find that my impressions are quite often very different from the general populace. That might just be the result of seeing a lot of the world in terms of positive and negative space!

Now that all the art is safely at the gallery, it's time to make sure all my tools are sharp and pack everything to take in for the demo -- including the magnifying lamp...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have a great time.
Pink Panther

Anonymous said...

Pretty ! Have fun. :^)

Hugs from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

No, wait... you carved that ??!

Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle, I'm in awe

BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Pink Panther and BetsyLee! Every now and then I like to set myself a carving challenge. This seemed like a good one and I wasn't sure it would work, but I was pretty pleased with the outcome. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! You never disappoint! They are beautiful. You are so right, they each have their own vibe. The texture of the green background is very nice. I also love the dramatic colors of the black and white.

sheila

ps. you will do an amazing job sharing your carving skills.

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Sheila! The demonstration went well. I didn't sell very much art, but I think I inspired a few wanna-be carvers. :)

Anonymous said...

You never cease to impress, dear Webfoot!

These are beautiful.

We look forward to hearing how it all goes.

~MC

Webfoot said...

Thank you, MC. It was a fun challenge. The demo went well. I think I may have attracted a couple new carvers. I didn't sell much, but there was a lot of interest in the process, so that made it worthwhile.

MichKathy said...

Wow! Stunning! I think it might look really nice with a blue background (maybe sky blue? or navy blue? I'd try a few)
-- MichKathy

Webfoot said...

Thank you, MichKathy! I did try sky blue and it was pretty, but a little faded out. I will give a darker blue or navy a try and see if that's better. Thank you for the suggestions.