Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Pepe le Pew

On a recent evening around sunset, I had an unexpected visitor in my back yard.


This is a skunk kit from this year's litter.


It's very fluffy, cute and small.


It nosed around the bird feeder for quite a while, looking for sunflower hearts the birds might have dropped or digging for grubs.


I enjoyed watching it, but I'm not that sure I want to have one hanging around my yard.


When it was startled by any noise, it was *very* quick to raise its tail. 

Nope. Move along, little buddy, I can do without your signature Eau de le Pew!
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That little one is so cute ! Look how tall it stands on those little legs. You're right, it is best if the junior stinker moves along - better safe than sorry !

hugs from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

Quite a few years ago we were in the Porcupine Mountains, talking to a Ranger. Mid sentence he points out a mother and 4 or 5 kits walking single file a few feet away. I was was so concerned about getting sprayed. The last thing that I wanted to deal with on a remote vacation was 5 smelly family members. The Ranger was not concerned and was like don't worry just watch them amble on and then go about your hike. Not a few minutes away we came across a fresh muddy bear paw print. Lots of memories on that trip.

Nature Hikers said...

We get skunks pretty often (even here in suburbia). We haven’t had any issues except they do like to dig up the lawn looking for grubs. The young kits are super adorable.

Webfoot said...

Yes, BetsyLee, it is definitely a little cutie, but I really would rather it finds somewhere else to be decorative. :) Hugs right back!

Anonymous, that sounds like a great trip with great memories. Especially since nobody got skunked, although it would have added to the story!

Nature Hikers, I can always tell when the skunks have been through overnight, because my lawn will have little divots all over it. Those guys are diggers. Of course, I did appreciate them digging up and devouring a hornet's nest for me one year. :)