Sunday, April 2, 2023

Back Yard Birding

 I never get tired of watching the birds that hang out in my yard. They are a source of endless entertainment (of course, as you know, I'm very easily entertained!).

 
Goldfinches are starting to return in large numbers and will soon be emptying the feeders at alarming rates.



I thought the snow on the beak was pretty cute. 


When male goldfinches start to put on their summertime feathers, they look a little bit like they're wearing motley harlequin costumes. I guess it's appropriate, since they engage in foolish antics. This fellow has a bright yellow patch appearing on his back and the feathers around his neck are starting to take on a sunnier hue. He'll look pretty silly in a couple weeks and then he'll finally become his sleek, debonair, canary yellow, summertime self. The entertaining antics seem to persist, though.


The juncos, on the other hand, are winter-only visitors. They melt into the underbrush in the spring and only reappear if there's a late snowfall. I guess that makes them foul weather friends (fowl?).
 

No comments: