Tuesday, April 4, 2023

More Back Yard Birding

Well, I'm cheating a little, since the first picture is actually from the front yard, but I suspect you'll let me get away with it this time....

 
I was able to catch this little junco hiding in the crab apple tree. I know they're sort of plain, gray birds, but seeing them always makes me smile. I miss them when they leave for the summer.

 
Returning to the back yard, madam cardinal shares the feeder very nicely (you can see the finch on the lowest bowl, if you look carefully).


After the finch flew off, a chickadee came to take a sunflower heart from the top bowl as madam continued with her leisurely repast. The chickadees tend to prefer to take a seed and fly off to either eat or hide it before coming back for another.


The downy woodpecker, on the other hand, likes to sit in one of the feeders and take up the whole thing for the duration of his meal.

Then, when the sharp-shinned hawk showed up at the restaurant, everybody flew for the exits to find somewhere to hide for a while. Apparently, they didn't want to serve the fellow lunch.

Smart birds.

 

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your little cup feeders look so cute with the little birds in them ! I love them.

If I tried to use that kind of feeder, they would be full of grackles and redwings and the food would be gone in minutes, especially at this time of year. Yes, grackles and redwings have to eat, but I wish they would spread out and not spend all day pigging it at my feeders !

Hugs to ya, from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

BetsyLee, I totally understand what you mean about the grackles and redwings (and starlings). They tend to prefer the tube feeders with the base trays at my house - and they can empty them alarmingly fast! Whoever said pigs don't have wings never met these guys!
Hugs right back!! :)

Anonymous said...

Juncos - one of my favorite birds to watch.

Woodland Paws

Anonymous said...

I have always loved Juncos. I love how they move about on the ground, how they are together in little flocks and the contrast to the snow. My dad always called them snowbirds. I always thought that was their name until I got much older.

That's ok.....funny you mention grackles and starlings............I call them pigbirds. Yes, they have to eat too............just why at my feeders and in groves????

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Woodland Paws and Sheila, it's nice to know that there are other junco fans out there. They're sort of an unobtrusive little bird both in color and behavior, so they don't often get the attention the flashier feathered people do. (And yes, the grackles and starlings are definitely pigbirds!) :)