Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Morning Mourning Doves

Sometimes, Old Man Winter is reluctant to yield to Old Mother West Wind causing short-lived snows to blow in during early spring, in spite of buds swelling and birds paring up and singing their territorial arias.


We had one of these spring squalls not long ago and, when I looked out the window at the snow piling up in the back yard, I noticed a pair of mourning doves sheltering under the table on my deck, staying out of the heavy, wet snow. 

 

They seemed quite content and unperturbed by my presence on the other side of the window and let me take pictures of them, merely watching me in return. 

 
They perched there quite a while, preening and staying dry.

One of them even drowsed for a bit as the other fluffed and puffed its feathers.

 
Eventually, they decided it was time for lunch and flew over to wait in line for the bird feeders.



One of them even posed on the deer sculpture yard art in the back garden while waiting its turn at the buffet. Very picturesque. 

Oh, and extra credit to anyone who recognizes the literary character references in the first paragraph. :)


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thornton W. Burgess ?

BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Oh, BetsyLee - right in one! Did you read his stories when you were a child? He was one of my favorite authors when I was a kid and I still have all the books I received for birthdays and Christmas presents in my library. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm such a nut that I read The Burgess Bird Book for Children at least once a year, mostly while I'm trying to wind down and fall asleep. I love the descriptions. Very soothing, but that Jenny Wren is too crabby sometimes! Reminds me of myself. Heh.

Hugs, BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Hah! I knew we were kindred spirits, BetsyLee! There aren't very many people who have even heard of Thornton W. Burgess, much less hold him in such esteem. :)