Thursday, April 13, 2023

Jubilant Juniper Juncos

While we've been enjoying some lovely spring weather the last few days, there was a snowstorm not so very long ago that blanketed everything.

 
I patted the snow flat to make a platform and sprinkled some sunflower hearts on top of the snow covering the juniper bushes. The juncos flew in to take advantage of their meal.

 

I know it won't be much longer before they all melt into the brush and brambles to nest and raise their young during the warmer months. Until then, they're very welcome visitors.

 

 
It was an extra treat to get to take a few pictures of these shy birds. Well, there had to be something nice about the otherwise unwelcome snow. The juncos are cuties!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that they don't stay all year in my area. I know that they have two broods a year......... do you know when they have their first brood? Also, is it where they winter over or after they move for the summer? I still have them in my yard. However, are they some that are coming from further south and passing through???

sheila

Webfoot said...

Hi, Sheila! I know at least some stay here year 'round, but not at back yard feeders. When they feel like they don't need support any more, they sneak away into the brush to raise their families. I see them from time to time when I am out on my walks. They'll come back out of hiding when it gets cold and the snow flies again. In early spring, they'll disappear for a few days, only to come back for a snack if there's a late snow. Most will fly further north to nest, though. I think they wait until bugs are available in abundance, since insects make up most of their diet during the breeding season.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I am still seeing some around, as you say in the under areas of my evergreen trees. Not under my feeders anymore.......I will keep an eye out for them for a bit and see how long I keep "finding" them.

Sheila