Thursday, August 18, 2022

Gone Fishing

This will be another one of the Pond Life series. Remember, about a week ago, I said I'd had a good photo night at Pyatt Lake (which is really a sort of large, shallow marshy area with deeper sections)? That was the night I hatched the idea about putting extra carving block bits into customer packages - and if you missed that post, I still have some (https://stampeaz.blogspot.com/2022/08/an-odd-notion.html). Just let me know if you'd like to have a little extra included with your order. 

Anyway, back to my story.  As I approached the observation deck, I noticed a couple of sandhill cranes out hunting for fish or frogs out in the lake. 

I tiptoed partway onto the deck very stealthily and got a picture.

Then, I carefully edged my way out a little farther for a better view. They continued their fishing expedition undisturbed by my presence.

I'm not entirely sure what gave me away, but they got a bit agitated and started bugling and clacking their very distinctive call.

I didn't want to disturb their dinner hour, so I quietly backed away, as one of them did a marvelous rendition of the dance of the ruffled feathers. As soon as I was at what they considered a safe distance, they resumed their search for dining delicacies and I continued on my walk to the other observation deck about a half mile away.

When I got out to the second platform, I noticed this great blue heron perched on a dead tree in the middle of the lake, not too far from where I stood. It looked me over, but didn't seem too fussed about my presence.


After a while, a golden eagle swooped in and perched near where the cranes had been snacking and the uproar was something to hear! They both took off and flew from the threat and I managed to catch a picture of one as it rose above the undergrowth and then looped back toward me.

It settled in a tree right in front of me and just a little to the left of the heron, who observed the proceedings with interest.


It was fun to watch the crane gracefully fold its huge self into a neat, compact package to and wait for the danger to pass.

It stayed for a while, allowing me to enjoy its company, before flying into the twilight to join its mate, which had perched much farther away from where the eagle landed. (I could see the eagle, but couldn't get a good picture because it landed in a very well camouflaged area to watch for its own dining opportunities. It would have looked like a dark blob amongst the leaves.)


After the crane flew off, I watched the heron for a while longer, before heading down the trail for home. 

All in all, a very nice sunset walk. It could only have been made more perfect by the presence of a large black dog quietly watching by my side. But, you all know that's true!


No comments: