Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Velvet Aboveground

I know, I know! The title's a corny one - sometimes I just can't resist!  Well, okay, you have me there -- usually, I can't resist.

This handsome fellow stopped by to enjoy a bit of chicken scratch put out for the birds and his magnificent antlers in the velvet were something to behold.

I often see younger bucks with their fuzzy headgear, but getting to see one of the big boys is always a special treat - especially if I can sneak a picture or two to share!

Speaking of velvet, this amazing fungus is growing (and growing) in the yard at the family homestead. It has a very soft, plush feel to the cap and it has expanded to about the size of a dinner plate at this point. I was trying to identify it and am still uncertain about who it might be. It's a polypore of some kind and I think it looks most like the dyer's mushroom, from the pictures and descriptions in my books, but if there are any more experienced mycologist types out there who can help identify this mushroom, I'd appreciate the lesson and formal introduction! :)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are correct, that is a Dyer's Polypore, latin name Phaeolus schweinitzii. Nice find - I love those guys! So velvety. :^)

BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Thank you, BetsyLee! I thought that was who it was, based on all the research I did, but it's always nice to be sure. Have you used them for dye before? I'm half tempted to try it, but I'd hate to disturb such an impressive specimen! :)