Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Goldies

Since I've been having fun with the bird character studies, I thought I'd try another one. 


I always enjoy the muted winter plumage of the goldfinch. I know it isn't as stunning as the bright summer yellow phase, but there's something soft and pleasant about it.


The females keep the understated golden-olive color all year, but before long, the male goldfinches will start to molt and become motley little harlequins of olive, black and brilliant yellow.



I'll try to get some new pictures when the garish intermediate phase takes hold. It can be a pretty comical show.


In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the busy, chattering flocks that entertain me with their antics.


I expect a goldfinch carving or two will get added to the list of possible projects, but I may wait for full courtship dress before I think too seriously about it. 

I absolutely love that I got lucky and caught the incoming finch in this last photo - complete with landing gear down...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are awesome, and I love not only the actual pictures, but also the commentary! We don't have nearly the variety of birds here, nor do I have the expertise at this stage of my life to take the pictures. You have a talent in your composition of a photo, and I appreciate that more than you can imagine. Usually, I have my fingers all but physically attached to the keyboard of my computer as I write about the life you are taking the time to enjoy!
Take care,

Heart Writer

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Heart Writer! Knowing that someone is enjoying my odd little ramblings (both the ones I take with Baloo and the camera and the ones that rattle around inside my head) is really nice - and an extra encouragement to keep on sharing them.
All the best!
Webfoot