Monday, March 19, 2018

Frozen Tundra Redux


I know, I know. Winter frequently hangs around here through March and snow is not as uncommon in May as one might hope. I do remember hunting for Easter eggs in the snow a number of years during my childhood. Still, it seemed for a while that the cold was losing its grip. 


Baloo didn't mind the new coating of snow at all - on him and everything else.


He had fun listening to meadow voles scuttling around in their tunnels while we walked around the field on our morning outing. Sometimes he would stick his nose right into the snow to smell their trails and emerge with his wet nose looking like it was completely covered with powdered sugar. I tried to get pictures, but before I could get him to look at the camera, the snow would melt - or he'd lick it off.


It really was quite pretty and I'm not really complaining about the new snow. One of the things I like best about being here is the full spectrum of seasonal experiences. There's something to appreciate and enjoy about every single day. Although, I have to admit that I could have enjoyed a bit less wind this week...


On an afternoon excursion, the harbor ice still stretched across to the opposite shore. Walking into the wind, and seeing this flat expanse of white is what clinched the frozen tundra title for the day.


Finally, while continuing our walk along the bay, we found this little ice formation standing just off shore. Nothing like the spectacular ice caves or anything, but a fun nature sculpture in its own right. 



No comments: