Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter!

One year, when I was in high school, my parents gave me a hyacinth plant for my dorm room.  I loved watching the tight little buds open more each day and my room smelled wonderful.  I named her Hildegard Hyacinth. It's been one of my favorite flowers ever since -  right up there with lilacs, which I seem to have to stop and smell every time I pass by a bush in bloom.


This year, to celebrate the coming of Spring, I bought a hyacinth plant on an irresistable impulse during a grocery stop after walking with Baloo. Hildegard II has been gracing the main living space in the house with both beautiful blooms and lovely fragrance. 

There are no hyacinths (unless you count the small grape hyacinth variety) in my yard, so Hildegard II will find a home in the garden, once the weather warms completely. It may take her a few years to bloom again after being forced in the greenhouse, but it will be worth the wait.  

Happy Easter 
and Happy Spring 
from Baloo and me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree.....they smell *wonderful*!!!! My mom gave me some bulbs 3 years ago...they are flourishing in my garden and every time the sun hits them, the scent is fabulous. I would like to capture it in a candle or perfume! I love how you name yours Hildegard :) Happy Easter to you, too!