Friday, March 10, 2023

Moonstruck

My sister called and woke me up early Tuesday morning to tell me that I had to go outside immediately to look at the sky. So, I got dressed quickly and went out to see what there was to see, since I knew the moon was full and likely to be spectacular.


I had to run a block or two to get an unobstructed view of the sky, since it was largely hidden behind the trees from my house, but I was amply rewarded for my efforts and made it to the water's edge before the moon disappeared over the horizon.


Since I had dashed to the beach, I decided to stroll along the shore a little way and enjoy the colors and the quiet.


As the moon was setting in the west, the sun was rising over the ridge to the east and painting the sky and water with a pastel wash.


The angle of the sun caught the windows in the houses across the harbor and they looked like a row of mirrors reflecting back across the water.

The moon became pale as the sun brightened the sky and reminded me of a large, pink soap bubble that might pop as it settled on the sharp treetops. The craters even took on the color of the sky in the background, making the bubble seem transparent. 


Quite frequently, the sky is cloudy when the moon is full, so it's always a treat when skies are clear - especially at this time of year when sunny days are still in short supply.

I was, indeed, well rewarded for my efforts and walked back home to a warm kitchen where I put the kettle on and brewed a nice pot of tea to dispel the chill. I said I dressed quickly in my haste to see the show - I didn't say I dressed warmly enough!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look like a bubble in your pic. Peaceful. :^)

BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

Spectacular!! Where have I been, I don't think I have ever experienced or much thought about
moon-set before! And yes it does look like a bubble about to pop!!
Thanks for the enlightenment!!!
Shooz

Webfoot said...

Thank you, BetsyLee and Shooz. I was really glad my sister gave me a wake-up call so I could enjoy it.