Friday, July 3, 2020

Monarchs of the Glen


Early every morning, before the sun climbs too high in the sky and before the temperature climbs too high on the thermometer, Baloo and I take our longish walk of the day. 

For the last few days, we've been seeing more than the usual number of monarch butterflies enjoying the freshly blooming milkweed flowers and other goodies out in the big field. 



This morning, we saw a pair of monarchs mating, joined together in the air as they dipped and rose, finally landing on this blossom.


I was very happy to see this, because I always cheer for the butterflies and the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. These pictures aren't particularly good, since I didn't want to take a chance of disturbing them by trying to get any closer, so I just tried to zoom the camera in as well as I could. 



Then, a little further along, I saw this lovely specimen who was surprisingly amenable to having me take a few photos. This was my favorite - I like the way the early morning sun glows as it shines through wings and leaves.




Then, of course, there's Baloo. He's the other monarch of the glen, king of all he surveys. I am partial to this image of him trotting through the flowers and enjoying all the morning smells. It's quintessential Baloo - complete with flopping ears and lolling tongue. 




1 comment:

MJH said...

Can you help me with carving tools and supplies? MJH at ussums@comcast.net