Monday, April 4, 2016

Spoiler Alert - April Stampeaz Invoice Image

I posted the Stampeaz invoice image for March on the blog last month and the response was very positive.  By way of warning, I am going to palaver on for a bit so that you can think again about whether or not you want to see the image or be surprised, just in case you place an order in April.  

This month's invoice image will once again be printed on an enclosed piece of card stock for a couple of reasons.  First, regular computer paper is porous enough that it's hard to get a good print of this particular carving with it, so I opted for a nice, smooth cover stock and Versafine Onyx Black ink for good coverage and the way it works with fine detail. Second, the carving is large enough that it won't easily fit on the page with orders that have a longer list of little items like carving nibs, inkers, small pads and such.  

As for the carving's subject, there's a wonderful landmark out at the end of the peninsula where I live. It's a lighthouse that functioned for over 70 years and is now a piece of history offering visitors a small glimpse of what life might have been like for a lighthouse keeper. People can even apply to be a temporary keeper of the lighthouse and Baloo and I have met folks out on the walking trails who plan family vacations around keeper duties every year.

A lot of effort has gone into maintaining and restoring the building, with the help of a strong community of supporters who work hard to preserve the history and landmarks in the area. There are a number of other significant and interesting projects quite close by.  

In addition, the lighthouse sits at the 45th parallel, complete with a marker to celebrate the fact. On a more somber note, there is also a war memorial honoring those who gave their lives in service. I am always humbled as I read their names and remember their sacrifice. Baloo and I always stop for a few moments whenever we go that way.  

It's a place well worth visiting and if you do, perhaps you'll meet Baloo and me as we walk through the woods or along the beach.  Keep your eyes open for a big, black dog with golden eyes.  :)

Okay, I think I have gone on long enough to give you a chance to retreat (or take a nap). Here's what you'll find in your package, if you place an order in April.  




Oh!  I know someone will ask - this was carved on Stampeaz OZ Kut primarily using a #1 and #2 gouge, with occasional Testor's knife cuts, particularly around the light, itself.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive!
-- MichKathy

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's gorgeous!! Now I know I will need to purchse something before April is over!!
Wise Wanderer

Baqash said...

Lovely

Webfoot said...

Thanks so much for the kind comments! It's nice to know people are looking at the blog and enjoying it. It was a challenging carve and it was fun to highlight a local landmark. :)

Andrea Palma said...

Wow, such tiny little marks on it. Very pretty. I need to order some reinkers for my Versafine pads. I have 2 dried up black ones,and one almost dry one... yes, they do run out of ink eventually!

I also used to live one the 45th parallel, in Alpena, Mi. We had a big sign that said, 45th Parallel, Halfway between the Equator and the North Pole. Iconic in our town. Also, my uncle used to run 2 lighthouses in Presque Isle, and all my cousins got married there, so lighthouses are particularly special for us.

FloridaFour