Monday, June 3, 2024

Walking on the Wild(flower) Side

As previously threatened, more wildflowers are in the offing for today. These photos were taken a week or two ago, but it's never too late to admire these beauties. 


The pink lady slipper orchid is a beautiful late spring flower that blooms along the trail at my favorite wetland trail.


The false Solomon's seal is much more common, and my mother taught me how to tell the false from the true variety. I haven't seen an actual Solomon's seal this year, though, so I can't give you a side-by-side comparison.


The little sprays of tiny, white flowers are so delicate and the broad, green leaves provide a perfect backdrop to show them off.


The fringed polygala orchid was one of my mother's favorites. I found this beautiful little patch of them and tried to get some decent photos.


Of course, Piper had to try and see what I was doing and what had captured my attention. It's important to try and get the pictures taken before she gets curious.

In a humorous aside, while on this same walk, I saw an interesting orange fungus and I was trying to get a picture of it for identification and to share here, since it was such a pretty color. Piper once again had to see what I was doing and stuck her nose right on the little fungus and completely squashed it. Needless to say, that particular specimen won't be appearing on the blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Polygala pauciflolia, my absolute favorite !

Ha ha, Piper has a pusher nose ! Too funny. :^)

Hugs to you both, from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

So, if I understand correctly, those shown here are the false solomon's seal???

That means the ones growing in my garden are the actual solomon's seal???

they are arched on a single "branch" of a plant with tiny white "teardrop" flowers hanging under it. mine are also variegated.

sheila

thanks for the beautiful woodland beauties!

Webfoot said...

I love the little polygala flowers, too. They're so charming, with their tiny, bright little blossoms and the delicate lacy fringe.

Yes, Piper has to get her nose into everything - she's still got a lot of puppy in her, learning all about her world.

Hugs right back to you!

Webfoot said...

Yes, Sheila. The ones shown are the false variety. It sounds like you have the true variety, although I think of the little hanging flowers as bells rather than teardrops, but I can definitely see the water droplet image, too. The flowers dangle from delicate little stems hanging under the leaves. I've never seen a variegated version, though that may not appear in the wild, but I don't know for sure. They sound beautiful.