Friday, October 27, 2023

Thrashing About

Brown Thrashers are favorites of mine. They are very striking, in spite of the fact that they're just brown and buff in their coloration. Sometimes plain brown birds are the best!

 

These fascinating birds are  mimics, singing everyone else's songs, as well as their own.




I had a couple young ones hang around in my yard during the late summer and early fall (warning: expect more pictures later on), before they took off for warmer winter hunting grounds.

This one had a fascination for my deck table and rosemary plant. I never managed to get a good photo of it sticking its face into the rosemary, but it seemed to find something irresistible among the leaves. I don't know if it was finding tiny bugs or if it was finding morning dewdrops.


These pictures were taken on a rainy day, so he's looking a bit wet and bedraggled, but his striking markings are on full display - and he's still a cutie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thrashers are around the edges of my yard, but I don't often see them. A few years ago, during the summer, while alone, I had the habit of whistling Brahm's Lullaby LOUDLY, over and over in the house. One day when the windows were opened, I heard Brahm's Lullaby being whistled in our lilac shrub. It was a Brown Thrasher ! It was imitating my awful rendition of the lullaby. I heard it several more times that summer, but not after. I loved it. What fun !

Hope I didn't ramble on too long, and hugs to ya for reading this, from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

What a great story, BetsyLee! Never too long! I loved hearing about your clever thrasher. :) Hugs right back to you!