Sunday, October 8, 2023

Not Spineless

A couple years ago, I found this plant flowering and was curious about it. The interesting shape of the leaves and the wild, lacy look of the blossoms captured my attention.

 
When I looked it up, I learned it was called wild cucumber. I promised myself that I would check back on it to see what the fruit of this particular vine looked like. 

It took me a long time, but I finally caught one with both blossoms and fruit growing on it. Somehow, the prickly exterior of the cucumber matches the flower's fine, pointy petals.


 
Picking this spiny little fruit for making salad would be a disappointment, though. From what I have read, it seems the fruit isn't fleshy, moist and crisp like the tame vegetable of the same name. Its interior consists of four chambers whose sole purpose is to house the seeds. 

The only traditional uses I can find for this plant are making tea or poultices from the root. Unfortunately, while the tea is supposed to help with digestive problems, nausea and fever as well as rheumatism and kidney disease, its flavor leaves a lot to be desired, since it's quite bitter. The poultice is said to be a remedy for headaches and migraines and might be easier to use, since one doesn't have to endure the flavor to employ it in that fashion. 

I think it's an interesting plant and some people cultivate it in their gardens for the foliage, since it's pretty easy to grow and can be quite ornamental, especially if grown over a trellis or arch support.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the dark colored seeds that come out of the 'cuke' when it ripens and dries out. I'm told that it has a self-ejection system that makes the seeds shoot out away from the old plant when they're ripe, but I've not seen it myself. The seeds are brown with a design on the flat side which varies from seed to seed. It's a fun plant !

Hugs to ya from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

I'll have to check out the seeds, BetsyLee. Next time I'm down at the family homestead, I'll look in on the vine to see if it still has seeds to view. :) Hugs right back to you!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!
Shooz

Anonymous said...

Thinking of picking that fruit reminds me of the time I thought to clear my mother in law's lawn of Chestnut husks. The spikes are WAY more effective than you might think. Even when you're careful!🤦‍♀️

Webfoot said...

Anonymous, I'll keep that in mind when I attempt to get a peek at the seeds. Maybe I'll stick some gloves in my pocket! :)