Tuesday, October 10, 2023

The Big Flap

The sandhill cranes were successful parents again this year. 

Last year they raised two youngsters, but they only reared one this time around. (Junior is in the middle.)


They are losing their fawn colored summer plumage and putting on their winter grays, just like the deer have been doing.


They frequent the big rye field my brother planted, enjoying both bugs and fresh greens. (Junior is on the left in this picture - he hasn't gotten his red cap yet.)


This picture isn't a lot different from the last one, but I simply couldn't resist the Abbey Road vibe, even though they are only the Fab Three.)

One of the parents started getting excited, flapping, hopping and clacking.


This caused Junior to get all wound up to put on a display, too. 

I just love these tall birds. They're so much fun to watch and, since they really like the big field, I can often capture a fun moment or two. 

They will soon fly south for the winter, but we will look forward to seeing them again next year and hope for another successful nesting.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to have such birdies near where you live ! I am so jelly ! I wish that just once, a few of these big birds would stroll slowly through my yard (or anywhere close by) while I was looking out the window. Just once...

Hugs to ya, thanks for the cool pics, from BetsyLee

Nature Hikers said...

Sand Hill Cranes winter here in California, that’s when we get to see them. Such amazingly beautiful birds!

Webfoot said...

I do, indeed, feel blessed every single day, BetsyLee. There's always something wonderful to see or experience. I'm glad you enjoy the little joys I share along the way! Hugs right back!

Nature Hikers, I had dinner with some folks from Georgia the other night and they said they had huge flocks of migrating cranes come through. They put up blinds where people can watch them fly in and take pictures of their antics. It sounds pretty amazing. Do you have anything like that where they winter in CA?

Anonymous said...

Huge flocks !?!! Oh man, I can't imagine the sights and the sounds of a FLOCK of cranes. Just once...

More hugs for the day, from BetsyLee

Nature Hikers said...

We usually visit the Isenberg Sandhill Crane Reserve (Lodi, California) where they do have a hidden shelter set up for viewing, but it is only accessible if you sign up for the docent-led tours. There is also a parking viewing area where you can get some great views of the cranes, even if you aren’t hidden from view.

Webfoot said...

I know, BetsyLee! I'd love to see huge flocks of those beautiful, tall birds, too. Maybe someday. Hugs right back!

Nature Hikers, that sounds totally awe inspiring! Thanks for sharing that info. I'm sure it's a bit mind blowing!