Friday, May 12, 2023

What Have We Here?

No, seriously. My sister helped me figure out what this plant was a couple years ago and neither of us remembers for sure, though we think it might be a Northern Wild Raisin.


I admire the sprouting burgundy leaves and snowy flower  buds every spring. The tree/shrub stands at about six feet tall, or maybe a little more.


Does anyone recognize this plant? I'm hoping to get a definite identification and also hoping that it might stick in my brain this time!

I thought I had some pictures of the fruit from last fall, but I can't seem to locate them for help in narrowing the search. Maybe it was the year before... I may have to dig through some old files (or try to be patient until fall rolls around again).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue. I anxiously await the reveal! :^)

Hugs from BetsyLee

Pat said...

I put the 2 photos into iNaturalist with a Central Michigan location. Two possibilities;
Serviceberry
Smooth Shadbush, Amelanchier laevis - this seems to match better??

Webfoot said...

BetsyLee, you may have to wait a while for the reveal. I may have to see what the fruit looks like again to be able to make any kind of identification. I will look through old pictures when I get home, to see if I can find any hints. :)

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Pat! I appreciate the attempt at identification. When I can see what the berries look like, I'll know for sure. Thanks for the starting points. :)

Anonymous said...

I shall wait patiently. :^)

BetsyLee