Monday, May 22, 2023

Apple Blossom Special

We don't get orange blossoms up north, so we may just have to write our own tune to honor the classic.

 

There are a couple very gnarly old apple trees near the family homestead that are also worthy of honor.



We love them. At the moment, the bees are enjoying pollen laden blossoms, so the whole area hums with their activity.



In the late summer and early fall, the deer quickly lay claim to any fallen apples, so none of them ever rot or attract worms. (Baloo used to love them, too, and would nab one whenever we walked by.)



There's something sort of magical about blossoms coming right out of the trunk.


Or when a cluster blooms right near the bigger branches, providing a nice contrast of flower against dark bark. 

I have no idea what this variety of apple might be, but they're crisp, tart and delightful to eat right off the tree. We've been doing it since childhood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apple blossom season never lasts long enough for me! Thanks for the pics. :^)

hugs from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

I just took some more pictures - this time of the crab apple trees that are in full bloom. The bees are amazingly loud! I'll probably post a few more pictures later in the week. :)

Anonymous said...

The news said this is a whopper year for blooms, lilac and the such.
I bet the air around your apple blossoms smells heavenly!!
Shooz

Anonymous said...

love the smell of blossoms.

soon, my little leaf linden will bloom. it too is short lived. it messes with my allergies. but I love the smell and all the pollinators that hang out there too. I sit under it and watch the action, breathing in the fragrance and sometimes just relaxing with a good book.


Sheila