Sunday, May 14, 2023

He's Very Shy, This Passerby

Every now and then, a bird will pass through my yard and disappear in a short space of time. I think this fellow might hold the all time record. If I hadn't been holding my camera and taking pictures of other birds in the little lilac bush, I would have missed him altogether. I think he might have stayed for about fifteen seconds.


He's an Eastern towhee, a very striking bird with his black, rust and white markings.


He poked around in the lilac bush for just a few seconds, perhaps trying to figure out why all the other birds were hanging around.


Towhees are usually ground feeders, making huge amounts of noise in comparison to their size as they scratch around in the leaves looking for snacks. I guess he didn't find the sunflower hearts and scratch food interesting.


Because, instead of hopping out of the bush and joining the other ground feeders, this final picture is of him taking off to parts unknown. 

I'm just glad I didn't miss his very short visit.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love having towhees around! They live close by, so I can hear the calls to "drink your tea" almost every day. I'm glad you got such nice pics to commemorate the day, and thank you for sharing them! :^)

Hugs from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

beautiful. I have never seen one in person.

sheila