Friday, May 19, 2023

The Merry Marsh

Marigolds, that is.


Marsh marigolds are one of the earliest spring flowers, brightening up the wetlands with their beautiful, sunny yellow blossoms. These specimens are growing in a shallow pond (one that's often highlighted in the trail camera pictures) on our family property.

Their early blooms are some of the first to provide pollen for bees and other pollinators, while frogs appreciate the shady cover provided by the shiny, leathery leaves.


This plant has long been used as both food and medicine, though it must be cooked to be consumed safely. My brother and I had heard they were edible, so I had to do a little research into what parts (flowers, leaves and stems) could be eaten and how to pick and prepare these little beauties. I'm sure we'll get around to trying them sometime. I'll probably tell the tale when we do.


No comments: