Monday, March 4, 2024

Unexpected Meeting

While walking along one of my favorite forest trails, I met a couple of other hikers who had a very unusual traveling companion. At first, I thought it was a very short, stout dog of some kind because, well, I doubted the evidence of my own eyes.


I had never met a pet pig out hiking through the woods. She was off leash and doing a fabulous job of sticking with her people and coming when called.


Her name is Scarlet and she is a two year old rescue pig who obviously had a fabulously soft landing after her rough start.


She let me take a few pictures as I spoke with her people and she entertained herself by snuffling around and rooting along the side of the trail. 

I got a kick out of meeting her, and I thought you might, too.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun to see a pig strolling on a path ! Very unexpected, for sure.

The only thing close that I can come to was a guy walking a ferret on a harness. Pretty funny. NOT off leash, for sure.

Thanks for the pig smile, hugs from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

It was a fun surprise. I imagine a ferret is pretty difficult to train on recall. This girl could even do a couple tricks. She would spin first one way and then the other for a treat. And she always came right back when she was called. Hugs to you, too.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read Hollie Hobbie's "Toot and Puddle" books? Her watercolors of the intrepid pigs are beautiful and make me smile. Your experience reminds me of those books.

Hugs again, from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

What a fun walking companion!

Will have to check out those books BetsyLee!


Sheila

Webfoot said...

Somehow, I missed "Toot and Puddle" growing up, BetsyLee. I'll have to surprise my librarian next time I go in and check it out to enjoy. :)

Anonymous said...

These aren't books from my childhood; I think I found the first one after I was forty. Through the years, I kept up with her new releases. I didn't buy them for children, I bought them for me. I don't have kids of my own, I just have a child-like appreciation for the illustrations and stories. And I have the adult appreciation of the medium of watercolor painting. The paintings soothe me.

Maybe you will like them too! Thanks for considering, Diana and Sheila. Hugs to ya from you know who.