Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Crabapple Capers

 I always love it when the cedar waxwings migrate back into the area. They are absolutely beautiful birds.


I love this guy with the wide open mouth, gulping an apple whole.



The flock descends on my crabapple tree and feasts on the apples the cardinals and finches haven't eaten yet. Last year's apple crop was amazing, so there's still plenty to eat.
 

As you've seen from earlier posts, cardinals and finches nibble through the winter, but these hungry travelers take full advantage of the high energy treats.


I love watching the cedar waxwings. Their plumage is so smooth it almost looks like they don't even have feathers.


They also seem to glow when the sun hits them.


Look at the color transitions - tan to gray on the backs and wings and the tan to yellow on their breasts. It almost looks airbrushed, doesn't it? It's just amazingly smooth.


The masks and crests are distinctive, too. They look like the lone rangers of the bird world.


They'll only be here for a few days gorging on apples, mountain ash berries and any other fruit they can find as they rest and refuel for the next flight of their journey. Then, I'll have to try and be satisfied to catch an occasional glimpse of the few that remain to nest in the area through the summer.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love watching Cedar Waxwings, but I never see enough of them. Maybe if I planted a crab apple tree, they would spend more time in my yard...

Thanks for the great pics, hugs from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

You're one Lucky Ducky -- I've never seen a live cedar waxwing, only in pictures! The most colorful birds visiting my yard are Baltimore Orioles and hummingbirds. But I'm not complaining. Orioles and Hummers are not only beautiful, but entertaining to watch. And I could just sit and watch them for hours! The hummingbirds are especially fun when one decides to claim the feeder as his own! The aerial acrobatics are amazing and the sense of indignation displayed makes me grin -- such big emotions from that tiny body! Enjoy your Cedar Waxwing invasion while it lasts --- and thanks for sharing your delightful photos!
PixiePam

Webfoot said...

I love my little crab apple tree, BetsyLee. The finches, cardinals and juncos nibble on it through the winter,the robins and cedar waxwings refuel, when they arrive in the area and I've even had robins nest in it. Also, the blooms in springtime are quite magnificent. I do need to trim it, though. It's trying to take over the world. :) Hugs right back!

Webfoot said...

Oh, I know I'm lucky, PixiePam! You're lucky, too! Orioles don't usually hang around here. I don't know why, because there should be some good nesting spots nearby, but if they come at all it's just for about five minutes and they're gone. I see them out in Baloo's big field when I'm out walking, though. And yes! The air shows the hummingbirds put on are very entertaining! :)