Thursday, March 21, 2024

Buffel - oed.

These bufflehead ducks were diving and popping up far enough away to make it almost impossible to get even a halfway decent picture.


I made dozens of attempts. Just about the time I got the camera focused, they would disappear beneath the surface and pop back into view in a completely different spot. Lather, rinse, repeat... It was quite frustrating, but I did finally catch one shot with both the female and the male above water and nearly in focus!

This gull, however, allowed me time to zoom in and get a much better focus on its relaxed floating. No dipping and diving, just calm paddling. 

It was a nice walk I haven't taken very many times since Baloo crossed the rainbow bridge - he would have loved the action out on the lake.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always taken aback when I see gulls floating around. Gulls don't float, they fly, darn it! I train the binoculars on the white-duck-acting bird out far out on the lake, and drat it! It's only a gull. Dang.

It was a big thrill when I first saw a bufflehead. Never thought I'd see the duck with such a fun name. Ah, good times....

Thanks for the fun, hugs to ya, from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

I know. The bufflehead does have a great name. Unlike bafflehead, which would be a lot more like me some days. :) Hugs right back!