Saturday, February 10, 2024

Happy Lunar New Year!

It's the Year of the Dragon. As I understand it, the dragon is one of the most auspicious signs in the zodiac cycle. It's associated with wisdom, success, power and immense possibility. I particularly like the immense possibility part. 

A most excellent carving buddy of mine hosts an artist exchange where participants send her enough prints for everybody in the exchange and she binds them into wonderful books and sends them out in time for the new year. It's such a treat to see all the different interpretations and styles. 


So for today, I thought it might be fun to post my dragon - it's totally outside my comfort zone in terms of both subject and style and it was interesting to see it emerge as I carved. I used pastels to give the prints some color and depth. 

Happy Year of the Green, Wood Dragon - may your year be filled with happiness, wisdom, success, and especially immense possibility!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great carve! Thanks for sharing. We have celebrated the Lunar New year each year for many years because 2 of our kids are Korean. Our daughter plans a celebration each year, now, for her children. Yes, this year is indeed the Year of the Dragon and I also love the immense possibility part! QM

Anonymous said...

Great carve, cute dragon ! Is it a young dragon?

Hugs to ya, from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

beautiful dragon carve! love the color and textures.

thanks for sharing with us,
sheila

Webfoot said...

QM, I love that you celebrate the Lunar New Year with your kids. Of course, I think that we should celebrate just about everything we can. :)

Webfoot said...

Thanks, BetsyLee! Yes, it's supposed to be a dragon hatchling just out of its egg. :) Hugs right back!

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Sheila. It was a fair leap from my comfort zone. :)

MichelleTan said...

Wow this is amazing

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Michelle. It was an interesting and challenging project - in many ways. I'm glad you like the outcome.