Friday, February 23, 2024

Early Warning System

I always love seeing the early arrivals. When the robins and the red-winged blackbirds start returning to the north woods, I know that spring will not be far behind.
 


This year, they seem to have arrived earlier than usual. I hope they aren't bitterly disappointed in their decision to push the normal timeline.
 

Birds and other critters are usually more aware of weather and seasonal changes than we unobservant humans, so perhaps it means we'll have an early spring. I like that idea.


I spotted the robin yesterday and the red-winged blackbirds (two of them) showed up today.


Last year, a pair of red-winged blackbirds nested in my yard and it was delightful to watch them rear their brood and then have the youngsters stick around fairly late into the fall. It makes me wonder if these two might be related. They seemed to feel quite at home.


Here's hoping that when the ladies come join the gentlemen, they'll choose to nest here again. Hearing them sing and watching them raise another brood would be quite a treat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a Red-winger at my feeder two days ago and I was filled with a sense of dread. I do like to see a few black feathered birds at my feeders, but the stinkers descend on my feeders in groups of 50 or so. Not just the Red-wingers, but also the Grackles, Starlings and Brown-headed Cowbirds that travel with them.

Don't they just disperse when they start nesting? you ask. Oh no, they do not. They wing in from their 'dispersed' nesting locations ALL DAY LONG to take seeds from my feeders. And the noise, oh the noise! They never stop with the calling and creaking and squawking! Plus, they keep every other bird at bay with their boisterous ways.

I hate taking down the feeders, but it's the only way to get the hoards to go away. I always miss my quiet little birdies.

The season of my madness is nearly upon me. Hugs to ya, from crazy BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Oh, BetsyLee, I definitely agree with you. The starlings, grackles and cowbirds are not particularly welcome guests. Around here, they descend and despoil for a few weeks and move on until its time to migrate again. I must be fortunate to have them clear out on their own.
Hugs right back!