Thursday, February 15, 2024

A Midwinter Ramble

I took a midwinter walk around my favorite wetland area the other day.


Surprisingly the marsh was still frozen, in spite of the fact that the snow had melted.  Although snow is coming back today, if predictions are correct. 


Those of you who met my hidden mystery dragon last year will recognize this fellow. Hey, it's not green, but it's a wood dragon, so it fits with the Lunar New Year, right? 


I found some fungi growing along the way, too. The bright orange caught my eye and made me smile. I always enjoy unexpected flashes of color during the gray time of year.

The shallower marsh areas did melt. I loved the reflections in the water, framed by the lichens and fungi on the fallen tree in the foreground.

Speaking of spots of brilliant color, there was also a pair of industrious pileated woodpeckers foraging for hidden insects. The head angle made me smile.


There was a male and a female, but the female kept to an area that had branches obscuring my view, so I didn't get any post-worthy pictures of her, but her mate was bolder.


He was handsome and he knew it. I may have to use him as a carving model one of these days. I have several designs transferred and ready to go, so it will be a little while, but he's definitely a worthy subject. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great ramble ! Makes me want to get out there and walk around and see some stuff. :^)

Love that dragon, it makes me smile!

Hugs right at ya, from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Thanks, BetsyLee! I was obviously thinking of you when I snapped the fungi. :)
Hugs right back!

Anonymous said...

Pops of color are always a warm fuzzy.

Thanks for the virtual walk on the chilly side of life.

Have a great day!

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Sheila! I'm always on the lookout for color during the gray months. Seeing something bright always brings a smile. :)