Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Well, I Swan!

After seeing these two swans moseying along in the still unfrozen bay, I started wondering (I wonder as I wander) about the old idiom, "I swan!". 


So, still counting myself among the ranks of the terminally curious, I started doing a little research. Apparently there are a couple different idiomatic uses of swan. 

In England, one travels in a leisurely manner, enjoying the journey without hurry or fuss. Also, often without concern for anyone else's comfort or convenience - so, I suppose swanning along could cause consternation and a few ruffled feathers along the way.


These two were certainly taking their time, mostly letting the currents lead them as they dabbled for food.


In the Southern United States (and Oklahoma, they tell me), the phrase, "I swan!", is more of an exclamation of surprise or sometimes a verification of fact, perhaps coming from a northern England dialect meaning, "I'll warrant", or "I swear".

Well, I swan, these birds are staying in the cold winter climes far longer than I expected they would!

It's always interesting to discover where bits of our language had their roots. Also, bonus points for anyone who caught the song reference in this post and sang along. :)

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, they look quietly beautiful. Were they quiet, or did they honk or hiss or anything?

Quiet hugs to ya from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Totally quiet, BetsyLee. They just floated along putting their heads under water to find snacks.
Hugs right back to you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, and peaceful, too. :^)

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I enjoyed the swans and had fun when I got home checking up on the word play. :)