Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Further Fat Feeder Feasting

Here are more satisfied suet snackers to start your day. I took lots of pictures and may post a few more later on, but here are some of my favorites.

 
This frontal shot of the blue jay made me smile. It looks like it's daring any of the other birds to come and challenge ownership of the suet box.


Madame cardinal was a surprising visitor to the suet feeder. She has enjoyed peanut butter in the past, but never shown any interest in the various kinds of suet with which I have tried tempting the birds.


Shortly after madame made her debut at the fat feeder, monsieur also decided it was a grand idea. It's really been fun watching the cardinals take advantage of the suet.

I have been surprised that none of the other woodpeckers have shown up to snack, though. There are hairy, pileated and red-bellied woodpeckers in my neighborhood, so I'll just keep hoping they notice the banquet laid out for them (there are five different fat feeders of different kinds in my back yard, so it really could be a smorgasbord for them) and come to the feast.


So, with that (and monsieur cardinal) I will fly off to take care of other things for the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I see Tree Sparrows eating at one of my 'no cling' suet feeders. In the spring I get Baltimore Orioles and Catbirds on the suet. Then I have to take in the no cling style feeders - just too many black feathered piggies!

Hugs to ya from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

BetsyLee, I think that might actually be why I am getting more suet snackers this year. My sister gave me her box-style suet feeders, because the woodpeckers were doing bad things to her wood siding. Since, as she points out, my house is plastic, I don't have that problem. Anyway, the non-clinger birds are able to perch on them and avail themselves of the high energy bounty for a change. Hugs right back to you!