Friday, January 26, 2024

Fur Bird

The juncos and other ground feeders have been enjoying a spot on the deck that is cleared of snow and kept supplied with cracked corn and sunflower hearts.  One evening, this little cutie climbed over the great mound created by all the snow removal and onto the deck to feast on what the birds had left behind when they went to roost for the night.


It was shy at first, hunkering down when I trained the camera on it.

But, once it realized no threat was posed by the strange person on the other side of the window, it relaxed to enjoy the feast. (I love the snow ring around its nose.)


It came earlier the next night, so the lighting is a little better.

I'm a bit of a soft touch (even though the rabbits are really hard on my roses every winter), so I got some bunny food pellets.


Using jar lids as dishes, I put some out to see what would happen and the lids were emptied in the morning. Maybe, if it gets enough alfalfa and greens from the pellets, it won't trim my tea roses into oblivion. 

This little rascal looks like a good carving subject, too, don't you think?  Easter will be coming before long, after all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute soft animal. I love bunnies! They never come around our yard anymore, I don't know why, we don't even have a dog to scare them. We have woods, field, shrubs, brush, scrub, brush piles - should be a bunny wonderland, but it isn't. Hmm.

Thanks for the bunny pics, makes me feel warm inside to see them. :^)

Hugs to ya from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

I love bunnies, except when they eat my flowers and even my crocus before they bloom.

I have a log standing on end with nails going into the ground to hold it in place and a nail on top to hold a corn log. The squirrels love it. So do the bunnies. They will stand on their hind legs and nibble on it. And of course the birds also get in on the action. So fun watching nature and wildlife.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

He is so sweet! We have bunnies.........but no snow! The snow ring around his nose reminds me of a "milk mustache" :) QM

Webfoot said...

BetsyLee, it sounds like you have a what should be a bunny paradise. Maybe there are too many predators in your area. The coyotes, foxes and cats can be bunny deterrents. Hugs right back to you!

Sheila, your log sounds like a great idea. The last time I tried putting corn cobs out for the squirrels, the bluejays swooped in and picked them clean before the squirrels even noticed they were there. It was pretty dramatic.

I thought the same thing about the nose ring, QM, although I was reminded of Baloo, who always got a ring around his muzzle when he licked out yogurt containers. :)