Friday, January 5, 2024

Inspiration and Outcome

I thought it might be fun to do another blog post with an inspiration and outcome theme. The last one of these I did was the Queen Anne's Lace carving. 

Situated at the 45th parallel out at the end of the peninsula is a beautiful, historic lighthouse. It was built after a large ship hit a shallow reef sometime in the 1860s and was first lit on September 10, 1870. It functioned until 1933, when it was decommissioned and its function replaced by a buoy located a little way offshore. 

 


Happily, this historic landmark has been preserved and restored by dedicated conservationists in the area and, since it's surrounded by state park land, it's a wonderful place to wander around in the woods (it was a favorite with Baloo), lounge on the beach and swim in the bay, or watch a spectacular sunset. 

I carved a full (and very detailed) version of this lighthouse when I first moved back to the area and some of you may have seen it somewhere along the way. Recently, I thought it might be fun to do another, simpler design using just the watch and lantern rooms.

So, here's the carving.


And here's the print. 

I hope there's a little inspiration to carve (or simply visit) a favorite landmark in your area. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This place holds special memories/meanings for our family. My husband and I visited a few years ago - before covid, we stayed at a local winery. It was so cold and windy in the spring. Not much snow, only in the deep forest pockets.

My daughter was proposed to on the beach in front of the lighthouse.

Beautiful carve!!

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Sheila! I'm glad you like the lighthouse print. It's a perfect spot for a romantic proposal.

If you stayed at one of the wineries, you were probably within a few miles of me. If you come back sometime, we should meet out on the trail somewhere. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful carve!

Hugs to ya, from BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Thanks, BetsyLee. I'm glad you like it. Hugs right back! :)

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing carver and set such a tone! Thanks again for musings, past and present. TAP

Webfoot said...

Thank you, TAP! Carving is certainly a big part of what I do, though sometimes things work better than other times. I find the process meditative and relaxing. And I'm delighted that you enjoy my meandering musings. ;-)