Thursday, February 2, 2023

Barking Mad

Sometimes, I get completely captivated by the patterns driven snow creates on bark and thorn and vine and branch.

It's like intricate lacework adorning the bare trees of winter.

Then, there are grapevines peeking through the snow, defiantly winding their way toward the sky.


Fierce barbs on this thorn apple keep their watch through winter's storms.

And the snow adorns this young tree like a ballerina's costume. Look at it just right and you will see the gracefully extended upper branches, like arms and the lifted lower branch in an arboreal arabesque.

Yes, I let my imagination run away with me again, but that's what it's for, right? 

Not only that, but it's Groundhog Day - the day midway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox, when the days start getting longer faster.  It's a day I always celebrate with joy and some degree of giddiness. *dancing among the trees*


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful photos and beautiful writing to go with them. love reading this post.

I leave lots of my perennials up through the winter to see how the snow graces them.

thank you!!

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Thank you, Sheila! I love the different patterns that snow makes as it falls on (or smacks up against) things. The skeletons of Queen Anne's Lace or the branches of hemlock - it's all quite magical. I'm glad to hear there's another admirer of snow clothing out there!! :)

Anonymous said...

YES I see the ballerina! I am also and admirer, love your posts your writing always seems
so poetic to me!
Tammy/Shooz