Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Winter Gold

Yes, yes. More winter birds. I know. But that's what there is to see at the moment. Lots of snow and sweet birds (well, and a few bunnies and deer that have only been coming around when it's too dark to photograph them).

I loved the evening grosbeak in the picture above. That straight-on earnest look just makes me smile. They usually don't hang around all winter, but this year there is a little flock that decided to tough it out. They look like giant goldfinches with only slightly different markings (and bigger beaks).

Of course , the goldfinches are always a treat. Their songs are funny this time of year - they sound like they're asking questions. Tweet?  Twee?


This is the same bird as above, but I liked the way he turned his head to watch what I was doing. The puffed out feathers make him look so much bigger than his actual size. Sometimes they snuggle those downy breast feathers right down over their feet to try and keep their toes warm. I completely understand - it's cold out there today!
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Evening Grosbeaks !! They used to come in huge flocks to my feeders in the 90's but not anymore. You are so lucky ! :^)

BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

I know what you mean about being lucky, BetsyLee! This has been a very unusual year for the evening grosbeaks. It's been a long time since we've had these sweet birds hang around. And certainly a long time since we've seen so many of them. It's so much fun to watch them!