Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Little Red Demon

I have a very tenacious and quarrelsome red squirrel that likes to take over the bird feeders whenever possible - and maintain possession to the exclusion of all others.

 

It seems no matter how often I chase it away or move the feeder to a different spot, it always figures out a way to scare off the birds and lay claim to the sunflower hearts.

I will admit that it's a very cute little demon and if it could live in harmony with the birds and other squirrels, I wouldn't be as put out about the gluttony.
 

 

But, as my grandmother would say, handsome is as handsome does and this mean miniature marauder chases everybody else away with its ill tempered lunges full fledged chase scenes. 

I think I may have to procure a have-a-heart trap when the weather gets warmer and mount a mean squirrel relocation program.

 

2 comments:

GG said...

try using red pepper FLAKES, not powdered pepper.
from all I've read, the pain receptors in a squirrel's mouth are similar to ours.
birds do not have the same pain receptors so the flakes won't bother the birds.

don't use the powder because it can get into the air and bother the eyes of the animals.

Webfoot said...

Thanks, GG! I'll give that a try. There's plenty of snow around to cool off an overheated tongue, so maybe it can learn a lesson without suffering too much. I still put out corn and scratch on the ground, so it really won't go hungry without the sunflower hearts! :)