Sunday, January 1, 2023

The Socks of 2022

One of my (many) goals of 2022 (and, amazingly enough, one that I actually managed to accomplish) was to knit a pair of socks for every month of the year. I thought it might be fun to share the lineup as a colorful beginning to 2023. 

January actually had a head start, since I started a pair after my Advent socks were finished. 

January through April included one pair of thicker boot socks, rainbows and a pair of very utilitarian brown socks. 

Then I did a couple of socks with stranded colorwork patterns and a couple more plain, everyday socks - one in blue and one in gray. One of the things I also tried to do was experiment with different construction techniques and that was fun - eye of partridge heels, toe up, cuff down, instep gussets and no instep gussets. I dabbled in creating some patterns of my own and that was fun, too.


The next batch had a blue and gold that reminded me of Van Gogh's Starry Night, another plain gray and then some that the dyers gave interesting skein names. The striped one was called "It Takes a Village", the green and brown "Dobby, the House Elf" and the green, black and orange was called "Friday the Thirteenth". 


 

Here's the full lineup. I didn't manage to make an Advent pair for 2022, but maybe this year. Although, now that I have a drawer full of hand knit socks, I think I will be knitting something other than footwear. We'll see what I come up with. And yes, there's an extra pair - since January had a head start, I thought it only fair.... Oddly, number thirteen was the "Friday the Thirteenth" pair. I didn't realize that until just now.

Happy New Year!! All the very best wishes for 2023!!

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome!!!

can't wait to see 2023 projects............ stamp pouches????

sheila

Anonymous said...

I am impressed!!!! I think it would be very difficult to knit a pair of socks!

Anonymous said...

Wow-that was an ambitious goal - congratulations on meeting it. I've only knitted a couple pairs of socks over the years, and they were a challenge!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great goal, all are beautiful, I have always admired hand knit socks but
never tried any yet! Can't wait to see what is next!
Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've always wanted to knit a pair of socks, but haven't ever taken the time.

And you knitted 13 pairs - amazing!

Do you plan on wearing them?

BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Wow! Thank you all so much for all the kind comments about the great sock project of 2022! And yes, I plan to wear them. I didn't want to put any of this batch into action until I got to take a group picture of them. Hmmm.... Maybe I should post a picture of my sock drawer! My sister and sister-in-law like to see the full spectrum from time to time and it's getting a little bit out of hand. That's why it's time for some different projects for this year, though I expect I'll always have a pair of socks in progress - they're so easy to take along for knitting away from home. They're also surprisingly fun to knit, once you get the hang of the heels (which seem like magic to me every single time!).