Tuesday, January 17, 2023

More January Blues

  Yes, still birds, but bluejays this time!

These are more of the candid trail camera pictures taken after the big snowstorm. Once the doves have had their early morning snacks, the bluejay contingent arrives to partake of the  bounty (along with a couple of cardinals in the picture above).  And yes, I'm still always looking for good in-flight pictures.


The bluejays were busy enough to provide quite a few action shots. The fellow in the back is impressive against the wooded background and the one in the foreground just makes me smile with the slightly awkward lift-off.


In the picture above, the bluejays were startled by something and all took to the air while the dove and evening grosbeak just watched the excitement without getting ruffled about it. The trail cam captured some really good flight action in this shot!


One of the reasons I like the action pictures so much is that I am continually looking for carving inspiration, so getting to study how the birds take off and land (or how critters run or climb) is a help when I'm designing something new to carve.


I thought this one was particularly good. I love the curve of the wing in the foreground and the fully fanned tail. (There's also a cardinal in flight at center right, if you look for the little spot of red.)


Here's another picture that makes me grin. It's an especially stylish landing, don't you think? It reminds me of a dance move. There's another bluejay flying in at the top right corner of the photo, just in case you were still distracted by the dancer.

I'm hoping I might have a decent idea for another winter scene and I want to put a bluejay in flight somewhere in the image. I'm thinking of either multiple blocks or a reduction print in blue, gray and black. We'll see what I come up with -- and how it turns out. :)


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last shot of the landing blue jay makes me smile. :^)

BetsyLee

Webfoot said...

Hi, BetsyLee! I know! I just love seeing the candid shots the trail cameras capture. :)