Thursday, January 26, 2023

Bright Birds in Snow

Watching birds enjoy snacks at the feeders is a favorite winter pastime for my family.  Our parents taught us well! The bright feathers and energetic antics are always a welcome entertainment.  



Suet is particularly attractive to the pilelated woodpeckers and getting to watch these large, almost prehistoric looking birds is always a treat. Their laughing call makes me smile. While mostly black and white, the bright red crests (and cheek lines on the males), not to mention the their size make these birds eye catching (even if they can be hard on the siding of the house from time to time...).


The cardinal above waited for an opening at one of the feeders and swooped in a moment later to get a late afternoon snack. I thought the bright spot of red against the dark green of the cedars and the white of the snow was quite striking. I can see another possible carving inspiration here, too!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pileated Woodpeckers come to your feeder ?!? I am so envious !!

I also learned the joys of feeding the birds from my family. I can't imagine life without bird feeders !

Thank you for another good post,

BetsyLee :^)

Webfoot said...

I know, BetsyLee! It's always such a treat when the pileated woodpeckers come to snack. I love hearing them talk about it before they land, too. And I definitely agree about feeding and watching the birds. They're so beautiful - and entertaining. :)