Thursday, November 16, 2023

More Thrashing

I gave fair warning there would be more pictures of the young thrashers from earlier in the season.  Still being in recovery mode gives me a good excuse to break them out.

 There were two fledglings taking advantage of bugs and worms in my back yard.

 
It was fun to watch them listening for the movement of subterranean snacks.

 

Pin feathers still adorn this one's head as it waits patiently for the sound of a worm, grub or other delicious morsel.



Getting to see so many different postures and views of their striking markings was a real treat.


The pin feathers on this one's face almost remind me of adolescent acne. I know - I'm too weird. 

I took pictures of these birds in batches, as they showed up each day for a couple weeks. So, don't be surprised to see more somewhere along the way. There may even be a record of a triumphant worm extraction. 

One of these beauties is likely to appear in a carving some day.  I became rather fond of them and hope they return to nest nearby next spring. 


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do have nice spots for the carving of !

Thanks for the great pictures. Hope you are feeling all better now.

Hugs to ya from BetsyLee

Anonymous said...

What a fun series
- Woodland Paws

Webfoot said...

Thanks, BetsyLee and Woodland Paws! I loved watching those silly thrashers. They were shy and would fly off, if they saw me, so I had to be sneaky. :)