Monday, November 27, 2023

Crab Apple Crisp

There's a lovely little crab apple tree in my front yard. Some years, it is loaded with fruit and this is one of the very fruitful years.

 
The birds hadn't been paying much attention to it until yesterday's snowfall.

Suddenly, the branches came alive with finches and juncos.


The apples must have been frozen, but sometimes freezing makes fruit sweeter, so perhaps that's what they had been waiting for.


The neighborhood wineries wait for grapes to freeze so they can make sweet ice wine, when conditions allow, so that hypothesis makes a little sense, right?


Doesn't madam finch just look happy, with apple bits smeared all over her beak?



It was almost as if the birds all decided to eat dessert first, because after they had their fill of little apples, they flew to the back yard for sunflower seeds and scratch.


I can relate to pie for breakfast, I must admit.


Anyway, I enjoyed watching them feasting in the snow.


 I hope you did, too. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finches eating berries in the snow - a beautiful peaceful scene. I love it, thank you.

Hugs to ya, from betsyLee

Anonymous said...

Entice by Chateau Chantal is soooooooooo good!!!

If I were a bird, I would like these frozen treats too. I bet they get a bit tipsy when they eat them.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

These photos are picture perfect! Postcard fodder! I love frozen blueberries and frozen grapes.....I imagine frozen crabapples would be just as yummy!

QM

Anonymous said...

QM,I agree.........

and just as good in a frame on the wall!!!

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Thank you, everyone! I'm delighted you liked the little apple eaters. Interestingly, they only attacked the tree for two mornings and then resumed their usual habit of eating me out of house and home at the feeders in the back yard. :) Hugs all around!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pictures, thanks so much for sharing!!
Tammy/Shooz