Monday, July 17, 2023

Not Blueberries, Baloo Berries

 
There are certain things that bring Baloo to mind very vividly (not that he's ever very far from my thoughts).

 
From the very first day he came to live with me, he loved fruit. He'd drag me (he was not as well behaved a walking companion when we first met) over to cherry or apple trees to pick up anything that had fallen from the tree. That was probably one of the things he survived on when he was out in the world on his own (he also hauled me to every picnic table and park bench to hunt for fallen potato chips and bread crusts).


Baloo loved mulberry season and this year the trees out in his favorite big field are absolutely beautiful and loaded with deliciously juicy morsels. The berries are not only abundant, they are also in enough different stages to prolong the pleasure. I stop and eat a few in Baloo's honor, every time I walk by.


Mulberries are a bit too sweet to make a really good pie, in my opinion, but maybe a mulberry cobbler would be tasty. I haven't made one of those in many years. Baloo would approve of that idea -- but only if he got to lick the bowl. :)

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are things will tug at our hearts as long as we have breath - mulberries are as good a thing as any :) TAP

Webfoot said...

Thanks, TAP, and Baloo tugs at my heart every day. I'm fortunate to have had his excellent company for nine years. :)