Thursday, July 6, 2023

Catcalls!

While out on a recent morning ramble, I heard a catbird in the woods and thought I would see if I could call it in to say hello.

 
The catbird is another mimic, like the brown thrasher or the mockingbird, so one usually hears it singing all the other birds' songs. It has its own little mewling call, though, and if you imitate it, the bird will come out the foliage to see who is invading its territory.

 
I must have been close to a nest, because both the male and female came out to investigate the interloper. It was a real treat to have them come in for a chat. Happily, they didn't seem too bothered by me, once they realized I wasn't building my own nest in the neighborhood and I was able to get at least a couple decent pictures to share.
 

2 comments:

Creeping Death said...

What region of the US are they in?

Webfoot said...

Creeping Death, catbirds are pretty widespread throughout the middle and eastern US. They tend to nest more in the northern states and fly to warmer states (and further south into Mexico) in the winter. I hope you get to entice one to come chat with you. :)