Saturday, July 29, 2023

Meditative Mergansers

While walking along the road beside the bay, I noticed a small group of mergansers sitting quietly and taking pleasure in the early morning calm. 


They seemed to be resting comfortably and enjoying the gentle waves lapping against their rocks and the shore. I took a quick picture to make sure I caught them meditating on their rocky roosts, since they sometimes slip into the water and paddle away when they are disturbed.



Then, I quietly stepped a little closer and zoomed in a bit for a better look. Happily, this group was completely unperturbed by my presence, though they did watch me.

I learned something interesting about mergansers as I was writing this post. I read that they can be brood parasites, meaning that they sometimes lay their eggs in another duck's nest and let that duck raise its young for it. I had no idea they were such sneaky little devil ducks. 

In other news, the new camera has arrived, so I will be trying to learn how to use it. Once I put it through its paces, I'll probably be subjecting blog visitors to more of my dubious little adventures. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures. Mergansers relaxed: what a special moment. Sigh.

Hugs to ya, Fortunate One, from BetsyLee

PS Congrats on the new camera ! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. :^)

Webfoot said...

Thanks, BetsyLee! I do feel incredibly fortunate every single day! It's a great, big, wonderful world. I'm also excited about the new camera. It has already become clear that I need download the big book of instructions and learn about some of the manual settings. I got a little frustrated this morning with the auto focus, for example. I just got it, though, so I recognize there will be a learning curve! Hugs right back atcha! :-)