Thursday, November 17, 2022

The Big Mon

I warned you that there would be one more post about mandolin camp and the fallout from the experience, so here we go. 

I had been interested in getting a better mandolin than the one my brother got me started with and he was encouraging me to upgrade, too. During camp, I asked each of the instructors for instrument recommendations (short of getting an antique Gibson or a custom made extravaganza that would be way beyond my budget) and they each had really good suggestions. Then, I did a bunch of research about each of the possibilities. 





My brother and I took a road trip to the Northfield showroom and tried out a number of mandolins (all of which had good features and would have served me well).  After playing and narrowing the field to a couple of favorites, this is the little beauty I ended up getting. It's not only quite lovely to look at, but it has an amazing presence and sounds fantastic. It's a way more marvelous instrument than I even begin to deserve at my level of ability, but I'm practicing hard and hope to eventually play up to its capabilities - or at least get a lot closer than I am at the moment!

I'm sparing most of you the excruciating details, but if any instrument affectionados are reading this and want to know the technical specs, just ask and I'll be happy to give more information. 

One of the camp teachers told me that I'd probably never need another mandolin after this. I believe him!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful and good for you! enjoy your journey.

Sheila

Webfoot said...

Thanks, Sheila! Learning is becoming much more enjoyable as I start to understand the instrument a bit better. Sometimes it's hard to put the mandolin down to go get other stuff done! I figure that if I keep having these little light bulbs popping on in my head, eventually I might see the light! :)