Friday, November 4, 2022

A Fork in the... Field

Spike was introduced to this blog a little while ago. Well, here's another in the cast of characters. This is Forky. (Yes, they'll have to go through name changes next year, since they'll be growing larger antlers...) He's been hanging around helping to keep the rye and wheat grasses (not to mention the turnips) mowed. It's amazing how the deer just keep grazing over it and cropping it short - it's a big field, after all.

 

We keep seeing this handsome fellow hanging around with Spike and some of the other young males, as well as the herd matriarchs and this year's fawns from time to time.

He knows that nobody is going to bother him, so he just sort of goes about his business while my brother and I are going about ours.


I love this picture of him licking his lips - that must have been a particularly delicious turnip sprout or something!


Then, of course, there's proper grooming and scratching the itches.


I liked this side view picture because of the interesting pattern in his fur right around his ear. It almost looks like a star in a slightly rustier color. (Click the picture to enlarge.)



Finally, here he is hanging out with one of the does on a rainy day. I can't believe I caught her in the act of shaking off the excess water. That was fun - but then, as you know, I'm easily entertained.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rusty mark under the ear looks like a star! Very cool.

Anonymous said...

That was me, Wise Wanderer - I didn’t realize it would post as anonymous. 😉

Webfoot said...

Wise Wanderer, you're just being super stealthy. :)